…As Chelsea Mourn, Says Atsu’s Death Is Devastated
By Sport EDITOR
The body of Ex-Newcastle United player and Ghana International Christian Atsu has been found after a huge earthquake in Turkey, local media reported Saturday, quoting his manager.
Atsu, 31, was caught up in a 7.8-magnitude quake that rocked Turkey and Syria on February 6, killing more than 43,000 people in both countries.
There were initial reports the former Chelsea and Newcastle player had been rescued a day after the quake, but these turned out to be false.
His manager in Turkey, Murat Uzunmehmet, told DHA news agency on Saturday that his body had been found under the rubble in the Turkish southern province of Hatay.
Ghana government said it was working with the Turkish government to organise the transport of the body back to Atsu’s home country for burial.
Midfielder Atsu spent four seasons at Chelsea before a permanent transfer to Newcastle in 2017. He signed last September for Turkish Super Lig side Hatayspor.
Meanwhile, Chelsea Football Club have mourned the death of its former player and Ghana International, Christian Atsu.
Chelsea FC issued a statement declaring: “It is with enormous sadness that Chelsea Football Club receives the news that Christian Atsu is confirmed as one of the many victims of the dreadful earthquake in Turkey and Syria.”
His manager in Turkey, Murat Uzunmehmet, told DHA News Agency on Saturday that his body had been found under the rubble in the Turkish Southern Province of Hatay.
Reacting on Saturday in a post via the club’s official Facebook page, Chelsea said, “Everyone at Chelsea Football Club is devastated to learn of the tragic passing of our former player, Christian Atsu. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends.”